The university lecturer Egon Eiermann had stylistic influence as an architect and furniture designer in postwar Germany. He starts first with the concept of mass-produced furniture that meets international standards of functionality and form. His works are a milestones in modern furniture design.
The contribution of Egon Eiermann
Egon Eiermann was born on 09/29/1904 in Berlin-Neuendorf. After graduation he studied architecture at the Technical University in Berlin. Influental teachers are in particular Heinrich Tessenow and Hans Poelzig, who makes him his protégé.
From 1927 onward Eiermann is employed first at the Karstadt AG, then at Bewag. From 1931 to 1945 he worked in Berlin as an independent architect. In 1947 he receives the department of Architecture at the Technical University of Karlsruhe. Until his death on 07/19/1970 he also runs his architectural office there.
The architect and university professor Egon Eiermann is considered one of the most important architects of post-war Germany. His most significant buildings include his houses in the thirties, the handkerchief weaving facility in Blumberg (1951), the Pforzheimer Matthäuskirche (Matthäus church) (1953), the German World Expo pavilion in Brussels (1958), the German Embassy in Washington (1964) and the Bonner Abgeordneten-Hochhaus (member of parliament skyscraper) (1969). Today more than 30 of his buildings are under monumental protection.
But Eiermann is not only an esteemed architect - his furniture design influences a whole generation sustainably. He already begins in 1948 with the development of mass-produced furniture that meet international standards both in terms of form and functionality. Thus he enables other German designers to successfully take up the design tradition of their country after the Nazi isolation. Egon Eiermann becomes the leader of the second modern era and plays a central role for modern German furniture design.
The most important furniture designs by Egon Eiermann
The works by Egon Eiermann are characterized by simplicity, immediate recognition of the function and rigorous geometry.
The Table Eiermann 1 (1953) with its oblique cross braces made of steel tube is an impressively minimalistic design that achieves maximum stability despite its reduced material usage. As a modification the frame is available under the name Eiermann 2 (1965). This version is modified by Adam Wieland afterwards, workshop manager at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, to make the frame dismountable and therefore transportable.
The braided chair E 10 made of wicker in its original form dates from 1949 and will often be varied over time. With its innovative concept Eiermann succeeds to develop the necessary stability of the chair solely from the design options of the braided cane. The match: the rattan stool E 14.
The wooden folding chair SE 18 designed in 1952/53 is selected for the New York Museum of Modern Art and is awarded with the Good Design Award. The robust yet comfortable chair made of solid beech is characterized by its tapered legs. It is produced continuously until today and has lost none of its charm during the decades.
For further information please visit Egon Eiermann Gesellschaft